What's It all About ???

This page is all about the building and flying of radio controlled model aircraft. It's a highly diversified hobby that takes in as many skills as you like to use. Everything from electronics to carpentry, to painting, to drawing and designing with a little bit of metal work thrown in. Some builders even go into doing their own machining, pattern designing, fibre glassing, moulding and engine design. You can use electric motors, 2 stroke or 4 stroke internal combustion engines or even minature turbine (jet) engines for power. My own models use 2 and 4 stroke internal combustion engines and range in size from about a metre in wingspan to well over 3 metres from tip to tip!


Saturday, March 9, 2013

More, More, More!

I've done a bit more work on the Bird of Time while I'm waiting for some parts to arrive to finish the new Kalt Space Baron and some how I ended up at a garage sale and brought home a RC boat with a OS MAX SR40 rear induction with pipe. The whole thing is about 40 years old and needs a complete pull down and restoration - BUT - I am a glutton for punishment and it only cost me $5.00 !!! 

THEN at our last club field day one of our members become annoyed with one of his models and announced a FIRE SALE. No Bidders! So I offered $5.00 - mainly as a joke and to kick of some bidding offers - imagine my embarrassment when there was still no more bids and the member accepted my bid! I became the owner of a "slightly" used 3D model - no servos or electrics of course BUT with an ASP 108 2 stroke up front! The airframe is substantially complete and I took my prize home to put it back together - some photos soon.

No more progress on the Lancaster at present but I'm doing something with the Texan to Wirraway conversion and the new Kalt Space Baron as well as the older one that I'm restoring. Most progress in the last week or so has been on the Bird of time and it's getting near the ready to recover stage. There are some photos on the Bird of Time page along with a bit of comment on the repair status.

Finally - just to prove that I really am nuts I bought a Hirobo Shuttle ZXX Heli complete with servos, gyro, motor and fully setup and test flown by an expert! I might even learn to fly it without smashing it due to incorrect set up! Whether I'll crash it because of tangling up my thingers and fumbs is another question.



The Boat Hull. Some one suggested it might be a Dumas hull - don't Know??


Partly dis assembled OS MAX SR40 - a bit sad.


The "bits" that came with the hull


Another view of the hull. I've shown the model to a couple of people who know a lot more about boats than I do. In their opinion it's been a top class model in it's day!