What's It all About ???

This page is all about the building and flying of radio controlled model aircraft. It's a highly diversified hobby that takes in as many skills as you like to use. Everything from electronics to carpentry, to painting, to drawing and designing with a little bit of metal work thrown in. Some builders even go into doing their own machining, pattern designing, fibre glassing, moulding and engine design. You can use electric motors, 2 stroke or 4 stroke internal combustion engines or even minature turbine (jet) engines for power. My own models use 2 and 4 stroke internal combustion engines and range in size from about a metre in wingspan to well over 3 metres from tip to tip!


Monday, February 4, 2013

Another Distraction

I just can't help myself. As some readers may know I've been struggling for months to restore a Kalt Space Baron Helicopter. Around 1972 vintage and recovered from the local tip. So far I've located parts in England, France and the United States - but the restoration is still only half completed. So - there I was desperately searching for yet more bits on eBay when - DAMN!! - some one has a complete Kalt Space Baron for sale - AND - it's never been flown - Brand bloody new!!! Then  - after picking myself up off the floor - well I'll be damned - it's in Australia - Sydney to be exact and the asking price is quite reasonable - Yeah - well - I just HAD to have it didn't I? 

A quick exchange of emails - some clarifications and I won the auction - IT'S MINE - It should be here by the middle of next week and I am going to lay out a red carpet for the deliver man. - well -I'll offer him a cup of coffee anyway. Photos as soon as it arrives.

All this excitement - and the impending delivery has got me all enthused again so I cleared off the building board - now I'll have to make some room and - Hmmm - I better get on with a few of the other projects - feverish work - much balsa dust and I've made some progress - even taken some photos as I worked.

SO - In the next week - in between updating the club website - I'll post some progress. I've done some work on the Wirraway conversion, The Bird of Time repair, built the wings (finally) for the Wittman Tailwind, recovered the Kyosho Trainer (after a hard landing when the bloody undercarriage fell off in flight) and made the rest of the ribs for the Fournier RF4. As well as that I've even dusted off the Lancaster,  maidened the Senior Telemaster and dug out the Mosquito plans - I know there is a half built fuselage here somewhere!. I even stumbled across the ply formers for the SR71!!

A few miscellaneous photos til I find out where I'm up to: -



Rebuilding the outer wing panels of the Bird of Time


I swapped out the Enya 60X for my OS61 4 stroke in the Senior Telemaster


And even dug out the Shrike Aero Commander to work on


Progress on the Wittman Tailwind Mainplane - more to come